Note: In an Exchange 2007 environment BlackBerry Enterprise Server cannot be installed on the mail server as the BES software is not 64BIT compatible.
1. On the server you have selected to load BlackBerry Enterprise Server download and install “Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1” which is available from the Microsoft Download site (a.k.a ExchangeMapiCdo.EXE). This will install the CDO and MAPI DLLs which are no longer available in Exchange 2007. This replaces the previous requirement to have Exchange System Manager installed as in Exchange 2000 or 2003 environments. The current download link is as follows:
Download details: Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1
2. Log onto your Exchange Server using an account which has permissions to create an account. Open the Exchange Management Console and create a service account called BESadmin.
3. From the Exchange 2007 server open the “Exchange Management Shell” which can be found in the Exchange program group. From EMS run the following two scripts to set the delegate control and required permissions:
get-mailboxserver <mail_server_name> | add-exchangeadministrator BESAdmin –role ViewOnlyAdmin
get-mailboxserver <mail_server_name> | add-adpermission –user BESAdmin –accessrights GenericRead, GenericWrite, ExtendedRight –extendedrights Send-As, Receive-As, ms-Exch-Store-Admin
4. Open Active Directory and from the View menu select “Advanced Features”. Then go to each user that will be added to the BES and open their properties, go to the security tab and add the user BESadmin and add the security permission “Send As”. (This will overcome some MS patches that prevent BES sending emails). Methods are available to add BESadmin “Send As” rights to all users if required but this method ensures only the required users have permissions added.
5. Make BESadmin a local Administrator of the server where you will be installing the BES software. This is done by right mouse clicking my computer and selecting “Manage”. From Computer Management expand “Local Users & Groups” and select Groups. From Groups double click “Administrators” and add BESadmin.
6. On the BES server go to “Administrative Tools” and open “Local Security Policy” and then expand the “Local Policies” and “User Right Assignment”. You need to add BESadmin to “Log on Locally” and log on as Service”.
7. Log onto the server where you will be installing the BES using the BESadmin account. Extract the install files and run the install file. Normally you select “BlackBerry Enterprise Server” as the install option once prompted as most sites don’t use the MDS services for custom applications (MDS is a much heavier install). Follow the prompts of the install and the server will be required to restart half way through the install. Restart the server and log back on as BESadmin and the install will continue. (Make sure the Connect Test works and the SRP ID etc is validated during the install)
8. After the install is finished open BlackBerry Manager, an error will appear about MAPI client which you can just hit OK. The MAPI setting windows will appear so just add the server name back in and select “Check Name”, if it resolves just hit OK and the manager will start.
9. Within Blackberry Manager click on Blackberry Domain in the left column and then the users SERVERS tab in the centre section, select your server within this tab and view the properties below. Ensure that “SRP Status:” is Connected (This can take a few minutes the first time so refresh the screen a few times). Once your status is connected you can start adding users.
10. Within Blackberry Manager click on your server name (The blue server) in the left column and then the users TAB in the centre section, just add a user and the click on that user. You will see all the users’ properties and a drop down menu called “Service Access” and select “Set Activation Password” and set a password of “a” for example.
11. Turn on you BlackBerry device and ensure Wireless is enabled. Go into “Options/Settings” and “Time & Date” and set the correct zone and time etc. Then from the home screen go to enterprise activation and enter the users email address and enter the password that was set in step 10. Press the track wheel and select Activate. Within a minute you should get data returned which indicates the process is functioning correct.
Send As Permissions
Download and install the MAPI and CDO Clients that are missing when updating to Microsoft Exchange 2007