Within Lync you can use in-band provisioning to perform most of the Clientside settings. An overview of these settings can be found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398300.aspx or for a more friendly blog: http://www.shudnow.net/2010/10/28/lync-2010-client-policies/
However, there are some settings that aren’t available (yet?), therefore I’ve downloaded the default template and documentation from this location: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27217
After reading the documentation, I’ve got multiple requests of customers that they would like to have some additional settings in there… I’ll explain the settings and afterwards provide you a link to where you can download the custom Lync Administrative Template.
- Modify the time before the client downloads the (delta or full) addressbook. Remark. This is not recommended in a production or large scale deployment as clients are instantly downloading the Addressbook instead of the default waiting time (between 0 and 60 minutes). This sets the registry GalDownloadInitialDelay as documented here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972403
- Allow or disallow the autostarting of the Microsft Lync client. This sets the AutoRunWhenLogonToWindows as documented here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/csps/archive/2011/06/14/regautostartonlogon.aspx
- Modify the Idle and Away threshold. These are set to 5 minutes by default. The screenshot below shows the settings screen when you open Settings – Tools – Options – Status
- Updated: I’ve added the functionality to Disable PC 2 PC Video.
- 16-11: I’ve added UseMSIForLyncInstallation, thx to Austin O’Kelly to allow installation of Lync through a GPO. See http://cecomputerexpertise.wordpress.com/tag/lync-gpo-active-directory-software-distribution/ for more info.
- 16-11: I’ve added IMAutoArchivingPolicy to allow forcing of Office Communicator clients to archive IM messages in their conversation history.
There are excellent blogs on how to add the administrative template to a Group Policy, examples are: http://www.petri.co.il/adding_new_administrative_templates_to_gpo.htm or http://www.petri.co.il/administrative-templates-for-group-policy-objects.htm
So for short, here is the file: lyncADM.zip
Have fun and if you have any more requests, feel free to contact me!!
Update 26-4: I’ve updated into version 1.1 to disable PC 2 PC Video. This could be handy in a scenario where you have Citrix and don’t want to allow Video calls on that specific server.